April 17, 2006

Whiplash! Everyday Art




whipup


OK, I needed a diversion. Yes, a diversion - a small amount of time for me this weekend and I love love love the idea of Whipups new Whiplash! Here is what I did for the challenge.
I had a failed watercolor painting on heavy Arches paper, a stoneware clay heart I had made a last week and decided that they should meet up. SO ... I made a small foam cut relief print of my ever increasing flock of birds. (not to be confused with the Flock of Seagulls) and printed it. I chose a shade of pink I mixed up in waterbased inks and printed it onto the failed painting, which is now the background. I ripped it into size and added a pin back to the clay heart and clipped it to the new print. OK, it will go to the gallery today with me and be part of our tiny arts for sale in the card rack. More than just a card, less than a big work of art. It is an everyday creative piece. I always save and rip up, recycle my failed bits and pieces into new art whenever I am able to... which is most everyday...

6 comments:

Funky Finds said...

I love this! Wonderful entry.

Anonymous said...

Sweet Painting Susan... Thx for commenting on my blog today, I don't know where the 'moths' can be purchased, but I bet if you contact the artist - she would sell to your gallery... They really look fabulous! I found her link while brousing the internet...

Anonymous said...

Too cute ! I as well have reused some of my works on paper, for mixed media works on canvas and wood. I think it's a great idea. Some of my favorite pieces have been from reusing works that I may not have liked all that much.

Susan Schwake said...

agreed sheri!
the huge painting became a whole lotta little works, this one was just one of the prints i did with the foam cut. the heart was one of many little pins i was making last week and i thought, why not?
it isn't brilliant art ... just play and whimsey!

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan...just love your sweet bird..he is very pretty....I bet someone will take him home soon....

Lady K said...

Your birdie print is cute! I came via whip lash. Looking at entries is as thrilling as entering.

Plus, I've totally been pulled in by your blog. I enjoy your writing and the things you like, if that makes any sense. Keep it up!