September 21, 2009

Wendy Cook :: Artist Interview


wendy cook self portrait 

I am thrilled today to share Wendy Cook's answers to my questions for the artist interviews I have been running here this month. I love her quirky photographs and was so pleased to see her participate in our Vision of Squam exhibition. Here are her pieces in the show over at our shop.  Without further delay - here are her answers and a peek into her studio space! Thank you so much Wendy!

1. What is your earliest memory of art making?

I was in second grade. I used to carry a tiny spiral note pad and draw cartoon characters and give them to kids. It was also around that time when I created my first book. I still have it, 
LOL, photos above.  I've gotten better at it....see here -  and more here

2. What is your medium of choice?

I don't like to limit myself, but I love photography and book arts.
In truth, I need to make something, anything, with my hands every day - I need this in order to live, like air.

3. What are your greatest inspirations for your work?

My son who reminds me that everything is wondrous.

4. What is playing in rotation these days while you are working?

Amy Steinberg, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Joanna Newsom, Regina Spektor, The Accidental, Bjork

5. What is a good art making day look like for you?

Like today but even better.

6. Who are your favorite artists - living and dead?

Wayne Theibaud, Francesco Clemente, Alex Katz, David Byrne, Loretta Lux, Andy Goldsworthy, Camilla Engman, Nina Bagley, Penelope Dullaghan (many, many many)

7. Greatest advice given to you which you would like to pass along?

"See what you can make with this...."


6 comments:

kelly barton art + design said...

thanks for sharing a little piece of your world wendy...i missed seeing you this year!

Liz said...

wonderful interview you two! wish I could have seen both of you this year...

Anonymous said...

i love this! i also love that both of our early memories were from second grade. i think we were twins seperated at birth, but you got the chutzpah and i got the mishegas...

love you wendy and YOU susan!

Unknown said...

Wendy! You inspire me, always. Love from NYC.

Wendy said...

thanks, susan.
thanks, everyone.
sigh.
i miss my squam peeps.
xoxo

Ascender Rises Above said...

very much enjoyed visiting today and reading your artist interviews; getting a peek into their creative spaces. Continuing to wonder how she shot that last photo!