January 28, 2008

Monday bread day!


enlarge to view spices... heh
A little diversion from traditional visual art this morning - the art of baking bread!
My husband Rainer is quite into bread making. In fact, he has been so prolific that we are a little overloaded - so I made some apple bread pudding this morning for a treat this afternoon.
Here's the recipe - it's so easy:
Take a half a loaf of crusty white bread - (challah is my home made choice)
Cube it into small 1/2 inch pieces. Butter a 9 inch deep pie plate or cake pan well and place the cubes in layers up to the rim. In a bowl beat 4 eggs and a cup and a half of milk until frothy. Add a 1/2 cup of sugar, three tablespoons of cinnamon and generous gratings of fresh nutmeg. (I also add cardamom as I love that!) Into the mixture add a cup of chunky applesauce. Stir until blended and pour over the bread in the pan. Lightly fold together and bake for 35 minutes at 350F.
Enjoy!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

yum! looks tasty!

Pat said...

Can I have tea and bread pudding at your house? Looks wonderful....and I can just get a whiff of the apples and cardamom.........ohhhhhhhh myyyyyyy

Susan Schwake said...

oh yes pat, do stop by! it is really quite good...:)

heather smith jones said...

Oh this looks so good and I feel as if I can almost smell it! mmmm...

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm... looks good -- there is no way I would wait for the afternoon tea if this one was somewhere in my kitchen!!!

One Crabapple said...

OH MY GOSH.... I was cruising down to find a Lovely Hearts logo and SCREEEECH ! I found this APPLE BREAD PUDDIN' photo and if there had been another car in front of me - WHAM-O !

oh my gosh. I MUST make some bread puddin' now. Ohhhh thank YOU..heaven. fresh nutmeg....?mmmmm.

XOX- S.

One Crabapple said...

Good Husband (BTW)

...GOOOOOD Husband !