May 08, 2006

Whip up! Classic to Chic






whipup

I love recycled things. I find myself facinated with how people can turn a worn collar, make bags out of twist ties and tin toys from license plates. My latest diversion has been buying lambswool sweaters at thrift stores and felting them. In the past I have felted with roving wool but lately my attention has turned to creating a blanket for next winter from strips and squares cut from my ever growing pile of felted sweaters.
Nothing says CLASSIC more to me than a v-necked soft lambswool cardigan. Two beauties were laying on my play (not work!) table shouting, pick me! pick me! The soft spring blue number won out over the black one. I cut off the sleeves, shaved the fuzzies off and made a pair of CHIC spring legwarmers for Daughter #1, age 17 - the one with the passion for ballet since age 4. She has a pair she wears before pointe class, but these are a bit softer and shorter for her regular class. She declined my suggestion of the vintage buttons. Fair enough! Daughter #2 - age 11 - also a dancer - spotted the remaining sweater with cap like sleeves after cutting, and said oh that is cool! So I thought, ok, let's make it CHIC and cut it short like the current craze and the vintage tulip buttons go on that! It was past her bedtime for a photo op by the time I got them sewed on, but you get the picture. She will be cozy in her leotard and CHIC dance sweater in the drafty dance studio. Classic cardigan to Chic dance wear. All in a late night craft session. Cost of the two pieces was just $5 for the sweater at the thrift store and the lovely gift from dear friend Jeanne of the buttons three years ago. We just loved them and were waiting for the perfect item to sew them onto. There it is! Thanks Jeanne!

16 comments:

Lady K said...

I adore leg warmers! When they were popular we were living in Saudi and it seemed really stupid to wear leg warmers in 100F weather... but I longed for them anyways...

justjohanna said...

adorable transformation! thanks so much for sharing it. i'm fascinated.

Unknown said...

That is so cool or should i say warm!
sometimes i wish i had daughters to do this for.

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

...why did I give my sweater away!!

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

...why did I give my sweater away!!

andrea said...

Brilliant!

Regina said...

Excellent! A wonderful idea!!

Anonymous said...

OH my gosh, I am SO impressed! I loved the sweater to begin with, but what you did...amazing!
Very chic indeed Susan. What a great, crafty, creative Mom.
a.

Mary Anne Davis said...

I love felting old sweaters. You can also use them to layer between thin porcelain plates. ;) Great reworking of thrift shop find...

Gisele Schoene said...

What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

I laughed when I had seen this because, my Daughter, just today, made a vintage flowered pillow case into a top all by hand.I'll make sure I get a picture for everyone to see.{ I'll have to check on the progress though, it could be a hangbag by now, who knows ?! lol } I have cut many, many sweaters, pants, tops etc to recreate new things...such fun !

Susan Schwake said...

it. was. so. easy.
if i had knit it now THAT would have been a major accomplishment. but thank you all for such kind words! i love love love whip up!

Anonymous said...

FABULOUS, I am addicted to re-made clothing too, this is so clever, and how fun that your daughters love it too!

Anonymous said...

OMG.... I love it. That is so creative. I am gonna make me some. :*)

Melissa Haworth said...

Hi,
Thanks for the props on my whiplash entry. I too love the concept even though most of my entries have been lame. It's fun to have to do it in a rush and see what everyone comes up with!

Rachel said...

You used the sleeves and the top part...the bottom part you cut off looks like it would make an awesome skirt to go with the ballet leotard get up too...and then you will have used the entire sweater.

Great Job!